Tatting Designers Class
My (Sue) Projects
Tatting Design Process
The Steps of the Design Process, although Very Similar, are not always described the same depending upon the Field of Study & Source of information.
For ourTatting Designing we will use the Version I have consolidated from many sources & feel will work best for Tatting Design.
This is not a Straight Line Process.
These steps & substeps are Guidelines (not laws) which may happen in a different order or some may not be used at all; it
depends upon the Individual Designer's Preferences & the Specific Project.
A. During this Entire Design Process Document Everything in Detail.
B. Do not Discard Any Documentation or Tatted Bits & Pieces -
they may be useful in a future project.
C. Incubation, sometimes considered the 2nd stage, will be used more than once throughout the Design Process, .
D. Evaluation is sometimes considered a stage also but should be used
in each step of the Design Process.
A Time of
- What & Who is the Project for? a New Idea, a Technique, a Challenge or assignment, for Teaching etc.
- What is the Function? Useful, Decorative, For a Class ...
- Brainstorm & Draw Mind Maps of Ideas & Possibilities
- Research & Collect Ideas, Pictures, Samples.
- Sort, Categorize, Edit Ideas & Materials
- Rough Sketches - Can be very rough!
- Create a Project Timeline if Needed.
- Select the Best Ideas or Sketch, Refine It & Make Copies
- Brainstorm/Mindmap the Possibiities Considering the Design Details such as:
- Tatting Path
- Tatting Techniques & Stitches
- Threads & Color
- Select Best Possibility & list Supplies Necessary & Available
Begin a Prototype - this is the Trial Stage so:
- Explore , Experiment
- Retro Tatting & Redoing happen often
- Record Details such as Stitch Count
- Begin Writing the Instructions
- Q & A
- What is the Specific Problem:
Path, Threads, Colors,etc?
- Review Design Elements & Principles
- Research other Technique & Stitches
- Revisit Previous Steps in Design Process
- Explore , Experiment, Retro Tat & Redo
- Refine, Improve, Add Details
- Repeat last 2 Steps until there is a viable Prototype
- Or set project aside for incubation time, then repeat
- Have it Tatted By Others
- Refine, Improve
- Repeat until Acceptable Good Product
6. Produce Final Version and/or Publish/Present
© Thread Expressions 2014